The Drum Cafe’s Shebeen Experience provides an authentic slice of township life and culture. At the location of your choice, the Drum Cafe’s sassy Shebeen queen Mam’Spinza and her charismatic team of actors, actresses and dancers put on a slick show, with or without an interactive element.
Clad in township gear and colourful 50’s-style attire, the performers alternate between Kwaito rap, Tin can dance, Township Jive, Pantsula dance performances and informal scenes. Beautiful 50’s Jazz and township songs are accompanied by guitar and drumming, with the audience encouraged to sing along.
The “Shebeen Experience” can be custom,-made to suit your event, with the rap sequence including details of the group’s identity or activities - especially effective when managers rehearse and participate with our team. We can include the company song in the performance, or can create one resonating with company spirit.
Amongst others, our Shebeen have performed for:
Oracle // Discovery Health // SAP // FNB // Unilever // Peugeot
SHEBEEN SHOW - 40 Minutes
Scene 1: Shebeen Opening:
- Shebeen Queen Welcome
- Song Shebeen Queen
- Shebeen Queen sings
- “Meadowlands “ with guitar, sax and percussion
- Group Kwela dance, 6 dancers with kwela tracks
- Clapping Facilitation (optional)
Facilitator leads audience in rhythmic clapping sequence
Shebeen Queen intro to Gumboot Dance:
- Group gumboot dance , 6 dancers in gumboot dance off
Shebeen Queen 2 x songs:
- Shebeen Queen sings “Njilo Njilo” and “Mangwane” with guitar, sax and percussion
Tin Can Dance:
- 3 girls perform the tin can dance with live music
- Group Pantsula dance number, 6 dancers with DJ
- Group Deep House Kwaaito dance number, 6 dancers with DJ and live music
Step One Sophiatown Party. Full cast with DJ and live music:
- Cast start group Step One dance sequence , they teach the audience, the audience is invited on stage to dance , after 5 minutes cross fade to house DJ.
- This is the end of the performance, the house DJ does party music set.
SHEBEEN TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS
3x Monitors for stage
1 x Radio Vocal mic on stand
1 x mic on stand for guitar amp/ or one DI for guitar
1 x Mic on stand for sax
2 x SM57 for congas and percusion
1 x Headset mic
2 x Condenser mic on stands as overheads (gumboots)
I x RCA out for DJ
PA System with subs
I x Sound Engineer
Minimum 6 x 8 meters
Basic colour washes, 2 specials (optional)
Contact Drum Cafe for more information on the details below or request a free quote by clicking the button below:
011 493 0809, or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org